Friday, February 11, 2011

Social Revolutions

For the past 2 weeks I have been intrigued with what was going on in Cairo. What intrigues me the most is the role social media had on these protests and demonstrations. I'll admit that a year ago I wouldn't think that protests would have made such an impact, and I'm glad that what could have easily been a mode of slacktivism in most of those middle eastern countries had lead to real change.

These events have been compared to civil rights movements by Martin Luther King Jr. - what I find interesting is how the Egyptian protesters were able to carry on for so long without a direct leader. It reminds me of a TED Talk about inspiring action. I think that Egypt's MLK Jr is Wael Ghonim - and if the world forgets who he is, it's of no consequence, because even he knows it's not about him. I admire his humility, as I consider it a trait in world changers.

No comments:

Post a Comment