Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Lessons in a Character

A television series that I've been watching lately is Modern Family. Wrapping up its third season, this sitcom follows the lives of three connected families with very different dynamics.



The show is similar to Arrested Development, due to all of the ridiculousness each family member find themselves in. My favourite character is Phil, but from my research I find that Cam is definitely the most popular character on the show.

Why is this? I think there are key aspects of Cam's own character that makes this so.

1. Cam is Confident
Note that I am not saying he is cocky.  He is not ashamed of showing his true self to others and speaks authoritatively about the things that matter to him, particularly his new baby daughter.

2. Cam is Self-Aware
Cam knows who he is and has a strong sense of identity. He understands his limitations and his unique skills and abilities. Better than knowing, he gives himself license to be himself.

3. Cam is Forgiving
I'm not saying he is a perfect saint, but for the most part Cam is able to provide the benefit of the doubt to people, unlike his partner Mitchell who is always the first to point fingers.


Recently I had a conversation with a friend about these observations on Cam and why I thought his popularity is so high. After all, his hilarity is a result of him being so confident, self-aware, and forgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment