Friday, September 14, 2012

You Used To Do It Too!


"Give advice with patience because it could be you in that same situation one day."

Someone had posted that as their status and it really resonated with me. I'm not sure what the author's intended meaning is, but I think there is some serious truth in that statement. With an upcoming American election, for example, it is easy to look at the candidates and smear the work they are doing or have done. But what if you suddenly ran for office? Is what you would do be any different, and how? Or athletes who are payed millions of dollars to play a sport, do you think you can invest the same number of hours training and deliver better results than them?

It takes time and practice to do something well, and sometimes we forget that.

I would take the quote further and say, "Give advice with patience because it was you in that same situation one day."

In the role that I am in at work, it can be draining. I'm dealing with clients who often are unnecessarily aggressive or do not fully comprehend the implications of their requests. But my manager, God bless him, he understands the challenges because he was there. He remembers what it's like dealing with difficult clients.

I don't know what it would be like to work under someone who commands results without understanding the process. As if, with a snap of a finger, things magically happen. I think that patience is so hard to self-discipline. But with practice and awareness, patience can lead to true success.

No comments:

Post a Comment