Tuesday, July 2, 2013

What I'm Reading Now

Keeping a Summer Reading List has always been a bit of a challenge for me. Activities and other interests (yes, sometimes even just sleep) got in the way of actually sitting down and reading. That’s why I was surprised to catch myself between books, I thought I’d share!



Here are just a few of the books I have on the go right now, aka some hope for books, and I easily recommend any of them to you:

When The Headline Is You by Jeff Ansell
I loved this book so much I bought it shortly after borrowing it because I knew right away it’s a resource I will continue to refer years later into my career. Ansell is one of the best in the industry and simply an excellent communicator. He had the class in awe the entire time as he shared his experiences, and I look forward to an opportunity of meeting him again.

Marks of a Messenger by J. Mack Stiles
Part of an evangelism-training course I’m taking with my pastor this summer involves this summer reading. We meet on a weekly basis to discuss elements in each chapter and how to apply them towards sharing good news with those around me. It’s a good and quick read, one that really hits home the importance of salvation and being a follower of Christ. I would recommend this for a group study also.

Cinemagogue by James Harleman
This book is the product of years of film analysis and theological ideas that relate to current pop culture. For years I knew there was a way to bring what we see in movies and relate it back to biblical truths - a story within the story, if you will. This book does that. If you ever wanted to know about the metanarratives that exist in movies, this is exactly what you’re looking for.

The Mentoring Manifesto by Regi Campbell
I am always passionate about the benefits of being mentored. Especially as a young PR pro, I recognize the intrinsic value in finding someone a little older to share life experiences with. Campbell takes a very intentional approach of turning the tables around and addresses the importance of being a mentor. If you don’t feel called to mentor someone, this is also helpful in addressing that very issue.


Let me know if you end up picking any one of them up and what you think! Which books on your summer list do you recommend? Send me a message!

No comments:

Post a Comment