Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Last Words

The last two episodes of #himym were more emotionally charged than usual. Usually I tear up from laughing too hard, but these metaphorical tears were different. This week's episode brought up an interesting thought, about the last words you hear from a person before they're gone.

Monday was also MLK Day and I googled what his last words were. Here's a wiki answer:

...According to Jesse Jackson who was present, King's last words were to Ben Branch a musician who was scheduled to play that night at an event King was attending: "Ben, make sure you play "Take my hand precious Lord" in the meeting tonight. Play it real pretty."

I think living in a Web 2.0 world pushes the parameters of how we convey our last words. What will be our last Facebook post? Our last tweet? Our last blog post? [Actually, an interesting article I read recently discusses the idea of your digital dead self] Anyway, I'm sure my last text to my sister was a quote from Batman.

If we lived each day like it was our last, I'm sure we would put more thought into the words we say to each other. It's true that through the tongue we both praise and curse. Why is it so much easier to put someone down with our words than it is to lift them up? We are a sarcastic society; everything we say is a (put-down) joke. I do think I need to have more meaningful conversations, which would include my interactions via social networks as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment