Saturday, August 6, 2011

#apeswillrise

I have noticed a recurring theme in many of the books I read and movies I watched recently, and that is the theme of nature and control. It is impossible to control everything, life is not designed that way. And as fictitious mathematician Ian Malcolm points out, "life always finds a way".

I am writing with Rise of the Planet of the Apes in mind, as that is the latest film that resonated the theme so well. If you are thinking of seeing it, go see it. I have a good sense when it comes to movies, and this one in particular was incredibly well done. I'm not talking about the CGI and the cool effects, either, but rather the character. It invests the first 1.5 hours really developing a connection with both human and ape, and captures emotion beautifully.

And that's what separates this film from the rest, this movie was not afraid to develop emotional ties with the characters. Instead of sacrificing story for thrill, the filmmakers chose to craft a very compelling history between the characters.

With many movies being rebooted (Hulk, Spiderman, Superman) recently, I am confident that this will be successful in its new storyline - similarly to what Nolan did with the Batman series.

No comments:

Post a Comment