Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Resolutions for Life

I read an article titled 6 New Year's Resolutions Every Photographer Should Make in 2012 and it's very good. I was surprised to learn that the author is also co-creator of Camera+, only my favourite photography app for iPhone. If you have an iPhone, you should really give that app a try, totally worth it.

A lot of her photography resolutions parallel a way of living outside of photography. Some of what she said inspired me to list out some new ideas to try out this year which I hope will extend to new years ahead.

1. Read the Manual

How often do we actually do this? Whether it's a camera, new phone, videogame, or whatever, read the manual from front-to-back so that you get a good idea of how to work your device.

It works well spiritually, too. Christians, for example, would be eager to read their Bibles for personal growth and increased relationship with God.

I resolve to read the manuals this year. To know what to expect and how to resolve unexpected surprises.

2. Practice, practice, practice

Like any skill, you only get out of it what you put in. For me it's blogging and graphic design. If it means spewing out lame content now, so be it! Because future me is already proud of the practice I'm putting in now.

Spiritually it means investing into spiritual disciplines (reading, praying, fasting - all those ing words).

I resolve to put more practice into the work I do.

3. Use what you have

Use what you have. If you read the article, my favourite part is when Lisa confided in one of the mentors of the photography workshop that she doesn't have a really good camera to work with. Instead of capturing the landscapes, which has been done many, many times, why not capture the facial expressions and moments of the other photographers.

Spiritually it means examine what gifts you have to better serve those around you.

I resolve to use what I have for all it's worth. I hope you do, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment