Thursday, April 26, 2012

Turning Songs Into Conversations

Have you ever done this: The person you're speaking with is suddenly interrupted with a phone call, or you happen to walk in on the person while they're on a call. Sometimes what I do is pretend to be the person on the other line. It goes a little something like this:

"Hey, just checking if you got my message"
"No, I didn't get any message. What's it to you, anyway?"
"Uh-huh, and I agree. What else were you thinking?"
"I think that you smell, that's what!"
"Okay, tomorrow won't work for me, but let's try Tuesday."
"Let's try never!"
"Glad that's settled. Good talking with you, have a great night."


It can be quite amusing, actually. But then I thought, what if we do this with some of the songs that we listen to?

Music has the ability to resonate with us so much emotion, but what if we listened to it like an actual conversation? If we look at the words. Here are some songs that I hear (see what I did there?) and always love listening to. Yes, having a back-and-forth with yourself and imaginary artist friend can be fun(ny)...


Where'd You Go - Fort Minor
"Where'd you go?"
"Out"
"I miss you so"
"Nice"
"Seems like it's been forever since you've been gone."
"Well, it's only been twenty minutes..."
"Please come back home."


Someone Like You - Adele
"Old friend"
"Hey Adele! What's up?"
"Why are you so shy?"
"I'm not shy....Am I?"
"Ain't like you to hold back"
"Well, what do you want me to do, hide in my room!?"
"Or hide from the light"

You're Beautiful - James Blunt
"My life is brilliant."
"Whoa, ego much?"
"My love is pure."
"Hold on now..."
"I saw an angel,"
"Are you sure you weren't daydreaming again, James?"
"Of that I'm sure."
"Okay then, well, let's grab a pizza and-"
"She smiled at me on the subway."
"I see, well what did you tell her?"
"She was with another man"
"Sorry buddy..."
"But I won't lose no sleep on that,"
"Okay, good, now about that p-"
"'Cause I've got a plan."
"Oh boy..."


Have you ever turned a song into a conversation?

No comments:

Post a Comment