Friday, May 4, 2012

This Weekend's Movie Predictions

A weekly series on my intuition or gut-feeling of how movies will be received by audiences and critics at the theatres. Mostly I score this by the trailers & marketing impressions I've seen. 


Last Weekend

Darling Companion
My prediction: No
Rotten Tomatoes: No (critics 16%, audience 54%)


As good as a story about a dog and master is, it's done too many times. The trailer made the film look too safe, like it's predictable what will happen or already prepares you emotionally for what will happen. 

Safe
My prediction: No
Rotten Tomatoes: No (critics 55%, audience 75%)


I am excited to see Statham in the upcoming Expendables 2. This movie could have been the same, minus all the other A-List macho men. 


The Five-Year Engagement
My prediction: Yes
Rotten Tomatoes: No (critics 64%, audience 67%)


I haven't seen this film yet, so I'm not sure what the fault of this movie is. I already expressed how original I think the story is, and the casting seemed right. 


The Pirates! Band of Misfits
My prediction: Yes
Rotten Tomatoes: Yes (critics 86%, audience 69%)


I think the low rating score would be a result of too many adults having to sit through a film their children adored. 


The Raven
My prediction: No
Rotten Tomatoes: No (critics 21%, audience 57%)


I can only presume that it went like the Wolfman; cool idea, but ultimately "meh." 


Warriors of the Rainbow
My prediction: No
Rotten Tomatoes: Yes (critics 73%, audience 83%)


A pleasant surprise. Still have no idea what this film is about, but I'd be more inclined to pick it up if ever I see it at my local library. 




This Weekend


The Avengers
My prediction: YES


Since watching the first Iron Man movie and the secret ending at the end of the credits, my mind was blown at the idea of connecting a series of films together inside the same universe. I fully supported the initiative, and it was great that each film did respectively well (Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, etc). 


I'm also excited to draw out some of the underlying themes from this film. It's great to see years of planning finally be formed in this triumphant experiment. That's my prediction, anyway. 


That said, I will blow all other films out of the water. Next week will be more in-depth as to what I think will sink, or swim. 

No comments:

Post a Comment