Saturday, April 27, 2013

Humber PR



Friday marked the official halfway point of my public relations postgraduate program. Pretty crazy to think fifteen weeks ago I embarked on this new adventure. Even crazier is that I haven't really communicated this part of my journey on here.

Since this is my odyssey, I’d like to use this space to be more transparent about what I'm learning and focus on the public relations program at Humber.

In doing so my hope is to provide future students an idea of what they can anticipate. My hope is to also practice my writing; because the way to improve writing is to write, right?

So consider this the beginning of the next chapter. It will be more reflection pieces on what I've been learning from my classes, from my tribe and from my self. Maybe others will chime in here, too, that would be cool.

And if you're someone particularly interested in Humber's PR program, here are some resources you may find helpful:

#HumberPR - If you're on Twitter then this is the hashtag you want as a saved search. The feed includes tweets from certificate students, degree and diploma students so there's a range of perspectives from current students. Don't be afraid to reach out, either.  

http://vanessavernick.com/ - I'm fortunate to be in the same section as Vanessa. Her writing is superb and her blog has been dishing out advice to students before classes even started. 

http://stellahklee.com/2011/05/01/surviving-humber-pr/ - Stellah is a graduate of the PR program. We met once at an event but not sure she'd remember me. Still, her post is worth the read if you're considering applying to the program or know someone who is. UPDATED: Stellah posted pretty much the Holy Grail of FAQ's you may want to check out here

LinkedIn Group - Explore LinkedIn and polish your profile. That's still on my to-do list, so if you do yours you have the competitive advantage (you're welcome). Someone has already posted some questions that I wish to expand on in the next few weeks (no promises!).  

Google - Seriously, it's 2013. SEO does a pretty good job at locating past student blogs about the program. If you're really curious take a looksie and you'll be surprised what you will find.

I hope this helps, and I'd love to know if it does. Stay tuned for more musings, tips or rants from the previous semester but also what the next semester holds. Thanks for reading my odyssey.

No comments:

Post a Comment